Gary Shteyngart's book trailer for Super sad true love story is a smash hit on youtube -- well, for a clip about books anyway
Many thanks to Random House for these four minutes of delirium which
made me laugh and laugh and laugh. The script (written by Shteyngart)
made me laugh, Edmund White (up there in my pantheon of favourite
writers and people ever since I was invited along to an interview with
him a few years ago and started reading my way through all his books)
made me laugh and want to throw my arms around him, Jay McInerney made
me laugh and shriek with disbelief at how funny he was, James Franco
made me laugh and melt with how cool and adorable he is. These are not
the only friends/literary stars Gary Shteyngart put into the trailer,
but they are the ones who are still making me laugh out loud even now
that I’ve watched it half a dozen times.
I had never read anything by Gary Shteyngart but the trailer was so
funny I went to look for the book right away, only to discover that
there’s already a waiting list for it, so I took his second book Absurdistan (the first was The Russian debutante’s handbook)
instead. I’ve gotten to page 135 and I’m taking it back without reading
the last 200 pages because it’s one of those books where the jokes are
more important than the plot, which could be fine, except they’re pretty
much all the same joke. It just can't hold a candle to A Confederacy of Dunces, whose spirit it sometimes appears to emulate.
Still I’m happy to have read far enough to reach a very good line on
page 130 (I marked the place so I could write about it). The scene is
Svani City, the capital of Absurdistan, “a small country south of
Russia” a bit small also on democracy. The hero of the book,
like Shteyngart a Russian Jew who emigrated to America, goes to the
Svani Hyatt for a lunch with “Josh” from the American
Embassy-cum-American upper class whom he irritates when he
shows him up for not wanting to spring for extra fries for the
hungry “native democrat” he’d invited to lunch with them. The line is “I
watched Josh Weiner unfurl his lower lip my way, menacing me with his
active cold sore.”
Gary Shteyngart was featured in this year’s The New Yorker’s 20 under 40 fiction issue. You can read the Q&As and his story “Lenny hearts Eunice” (the germ of Super sad true love story) in The New Yorker online.
I nearly forgot: James Franco really did take a class from Gary Shteyngart when he was a graduate student at Columbia.
Home » Karen » Super super super book trailer
August 27, 2010
Super super super book trailer
lainnya dari book trailers, Edmund White, Gary Shteyngart, James franco, Jay McInerney, Karen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment